Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Local Sandy damage

I really love this photo, even though I think this type of shot with rain drops in focus on a window is really overdone. I just like the leaf's texture with the rain, and anyone can easily identify that this is fall. I took this just as I was setting out to survey some Sandy storm damage. What I found was mainly down trees, a few low wires, and some large puddles, but not much flooding or people repairing things just yet. Some people had collected loose branches in the yard for trash pickup this week, but the larger logs were mainly just still sitting in yards. No structural damage from where I drove either, other than a gutter on a house that I took a photo of below. I went through my neighborhood and the next one over, to Marchwood, then Exton, down into Downingtown, and then around Shamona Creek Elementary. I also threw in a few Instagrams on the bottom in case anyone doesn't use the app.  




This was the field goal on the football practice/gym field at my old high school, Downingtown High School East. It must have easily blown over in the wind, but it looked interesting and symmetrical lying there, so I took the photo. Wish I could have gotten it from overhead. I don't normally shoot things this rectangular, but I think it looks nice and clean the way it fills out a blog, so I've looked at crops like these for the past few blog posts.
This stop sign is from a bank across from a miniature golf course and driving range near me. It had almost been leveled (then again, it could have been like this before the storm if someone hit it, I'm not sure, I hadn't seen it pre-Sandy).

All three of the photos above are from the same tree, the picture above is just an iPhone photo (not Instagrammed though). The tree was down in the Lionville Elementary school parking lot off of Route 113. It looked as though it had just fallen over from weight pulling it out of the soaking wet ground. It actually kind of looked like a big Christmas tree.
Random Instagram from Downingtown that I really like. I'm surprised this farmer didn't get rid of the dead stalks yet.

 This was the gutter damage on the house I mentioned earlier as the only structural damage I saw. The tree that had hit it is pictured below.
 

 The photo on the left here is an Instagram from the same neighborhood as the photos of the gutter above . The photo to the   right is some trimmings and loose branches that were put out for trash collection.

 This photo caused the next photo's road blockage (photo above would be to the right, the source of the tree limb). 
The blockage occurred on Taylor Road, about a mile from my house. It's a very narrow path through extremely tall trees, and I kind of assumed there was going to be something like this there.
Here is an Instagram showing the road blocked off from the tree shown above. I did obey the sign and turn around, but went another way onto the road where someone else had moved the road closed sign. Road closed? News to me. Just kidding, I realized it probably was dangerous because there were live wires hanging so I took some photos and ran out of there.
My neighborhood is where the houses you can see in the background are. This guy traveled a long way in Sandy's grasp.        







I have an appointment in Wayne tomorrow, and will bring my camera along to see what Sandy did to that area. Also it's Halloween, so you never know what sorts of features may pop up. Goodbye for now, and stay safe in the aftermath of this storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment